
So Shane and I decided that we wanted to have a vegetable garden this year. We picked a corner and Shane dug up all of the sod...and the very next day my sister Mary Jane told me all about square foot gardening. I was sold. You make boxes and fill them with a special blend of 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 peat moss. They only need to be 6" deep, and then you divide the box using a grid. It's an easy way to organize all of the garden yummies you want to plant. Today Shane put all the sod back...because you don't need to tear up your lawn, you can just put the box on you lawn. And you don't need a huge garden to get a lot of vegetables. I feel really bad Shane went to all that work because I changed my mind...isn't he the best?
Here's some of the basics of square foot gardening: (you can find more info at
What is Square Foot Gardening?
No Work, Simple & Easy, Organic, Raised Garden Beds
Square Foot Gardening is a uniquely simplified method of gardening that produces 100% of the harvest in only 20% of the space -- AND -- without all the hard work and drudgery of single row gardening.![]() |

2 comments:
I am really excited about this!
So cool you guys are going to have a garden! Love you!
Post a Comment