




On Sunday we went to the Richmond Cemetery with Shane's Dad and Grandpa. We left flowers for Grandpa's wife, Elaine; Shane's mom, Myrna; and Shane's brothers, Troy, Brandon and Toddie. I love the Richmond Cemetery - I have never been to a more beautiful one. It overlooks Cache Valley, it's quiet, and surrounded by trees. When I was younger I didn't really enjoy Memorial Day. I thought why are we wasting flowers? Do they really care? They are probably busy on the other side. But now I see how important it is to remember those we love who have left. It's a way to honor them, and remember them...Jessa picked about a jillion dandelions and left them on her Grandma Myrna's stone. Shane was going to take them off when we left, but I asked him to leave them. Wouldn't it tickle Grandma Myrna to know her grandaughter picked all those flowers for her? Today Jessa asked me if "those people in the ground" could see us. I said "yes." And I believe they did.
I wish we were close to Salt Lake so I could leave flowers for my grandparents...I visually left them flowers in my head...and remembered. Grandma Mary's garden, her cousin sleepovers, her warm smile, crowded Christmas Eve at her house on Howey Drive...Grandpa James I never met you, but I love you anyway... Grandma Madeline, your beautiful home, homemade candy bar candy, peeling peaches at the cabin in Island Park...Grandpa Wally, fishing at Island Park, your hammock by the creek, your beautiful roses...
5 comments:
Way to enjoy the holiday to the fullest! I am sure that the dandelions were among the favorite.
Sarah, Thanks for sharing your Memorial Day thoughts. Very wonderful and poigniant. Is that how you spell poigniant? I sure love Jessa's dandelion boquets. Love, Dad
My favorite saying is "You live a long as you are remembered." I love you so much. Mom
I missed being able to visit the graves this year. It was such a tradition growing up. I like how you visually left flowers at each of the graves. When I read that I thought I could do that too. It made me feel better.
Thanks for all of your support Sarah!! It has meant alot!
I love you!
What a wonderful journal entry! I feel the same way. I love mom's comment "You live as long as you are remembered."
I think I will do that too next year: leave flowers visually.
I love you!
Post a Comment